2011

Stewart & Stevenson LLC acquired EMDSI-Hunt Power LLC, to be merged with S&S EMD operations (primarily New Orleans branch) and expand EMD sales and service internationally, as well as use international territories gained to expand oil & gas products and services internationally.


2007

Stewart & Stevenson LLC acquired Crown Energy Technologies, Inc., expanding the company’s line of stimulation equipment for the oil and gas industry and adding rigs to the product line.


2006

Tactical Vehicle Systems merged with Armor Holdings, Inc.

Engineered Products and Power Products divisions sold to Hushang Ansary; becomes Stewart & Stevenson LLC. Company focus: manufacture of equipment for oil and gas market, international expansion.


2005

Refocused on three segments: Tactical Vehicle Systems, Power Products and Engineered Products.


2004

Key business partners: Allison Transmission, Detroit Diesel/MTU, DEUTZ, Electro-Motive Division, Hyster and Waukesha. Power Products executed new contracts with Detroit Diesel and DaimlerChrysler for distribution and servicing of diesel engine products. Obtained contracts for FMTV Low Signature Armored Cab (LSAC). Exited Thermo King, TUG airline, Distributed Energy Solutions and MerCruiser. 


2003

HEV transit bus package added (hybrid “clean engine”)


2003

Stewart & Stevenson awarded U. S. Army’s FMTV A1CR Contract for 10,000 trucks and trailers through 2008.


2002

Stewart & Stevenson celebrated 100 years in manufacturing. Company focused on four business groupings: Power Products, Tactical Vehicle Systems, Engineered Products and S&S TUG


2002

Stewart & Stevenson stock moved to New York Stock Exchange; shares sold under new ticker symbol “SVC.”


2001

Sold John Deere dealership. Formed the Specialty Wheeled Vehicle Division.


2000

Sold gas-turbine division to GE Power Systems. Acquired TUG aircraft ground support vehicles business.


1999

Began production in September of second multi-year contract for the next FMTV increment of 10,000 vehicles.


1996

Competed for the U.S. Marine/Army Medium Tactical Truck Replacement (MTTR) Program, August 1996.


1995

Signed agreement with European Gas Turbines Ltd., packager of mid-range units. Marketed large self-propelled snowblowers for use at airports and on roadways.


1994

Acquired PAMCO – Waukesha gas compression & generating equipment.


1992

Purchased Foley Valves – oil field equipment supplier.


1991

Awarded contract to build $1.2 billion of 2.5 & 5-ton trucks for U.S. Army.


1990

Designed and built Rail King railcar mover.


1989

Awarded a John Deere light industrial dealership.


1988

Granted exclusive territory for EMD engines, included 10 southern states, Mexico & Central America.


1987

Through a joint venture with Mercedes Benz, built 700 “Starship” transit buses from 1987-1992.


1985

California Cogen – power producing industry. Competed for the U.S. Army’s M939 A2 5-ton program.


1980

Started building GE gas turbine power packages for offshore oil rigs.


1975

JV GM Detroit Diesel Sales in Venezuela.


1970

Formed the Thermo King division.


1969

Designed and built Land Leveler vehicle used for leveling an area that was to be water flooded for rice fields.


1963-1966

Entered gas turbine – powered industry & pleasure craft engines.


1963

Built oilfield frac trucks.


1962

Expanded the ground support equipment product line with tow tractor for various airlines.


1960

Designed, built and marketed oilfield self-propelled service units under the trade name "Fieldmaster."


1959

Signed distributorship for Hyster industrial forklifts.


1958

Entered the aircraft ground support business with GM Detroit Diesels. During the decade, designed and built approximately 1000 low silhouette, self-propelled GPUs with a 400 Hz, 90 kVA generator set for major airlines.


1950

Manufactured a “swamp buggy” for support of oil exploration in Gulf Coast marsh areas.


1946

Developed one of first 45 kW light power generators for the U. S. military.


1942

During World War II, Stewart & Stevenson built & packaged diesel generators, assembled hundreds of 6x6 trucks (2.5-ton Studebaker trucks) for military use, refurbished thousands of Jeeps, and re-powered Sherman tanks for the U.S. Army.


1940

Stewart & Stevenson built hundreds of tow tractor/push vehicles and self-propelled bomb ordinance loaders for the U.S. Air Force.


1938

Stewart & Stevenson acquired a distributorship for GM diesel engines, and began harnessing diesel power for various applications.


1923

The company became a GMC truck distributor and builder of truck body variants.


1920

As the automobile became more prevalent, the company shifted its focus to automobile repair and customization.


1905

C. Jim Stewart & Stevenson repaired their first "horseless carriage."


1902

Stewart & Stevenson originated in Houston, TX, as a blacksmith shop shoeing horses and a carriage shop manufacturing carriages and wagons.